Debian Select And Install Software Slow

If you are asking yourself “How do I install debian package in Ubuntu or Debian?”, then you have come to the right place.

You can right-click on the downloaded deb packages and select install from the context menu but using a graphical installer can be slow compared to terminal commands. Here’s 3 different command line tools to help you install deb packages. They are dpkg, gdebi and apt.

dpkg

You use dpkg to install local debian package like below.

dpkg itself can’t solve dependency problem because it does not understand repositories. But you can use the following command to solve it. (-f for fixing broken dependency).

Did you just install Ubuntu 16.04 on your computer only to figure out that the Ubuntu Software Center is not loading? Multiple users have reported that the. Hardware is a B&R PPC2100 Intel Atom E3815 Debian 8.8 amd64 freezing @ 'dpkg something' during software installation Debian 9.1 amd64 freezing @ 'discover' during.

gdebi package installer

gdebi isn’t installed by default on Ubuntu, so you need to install it first.

Then to install a local deb package, use

If there’s a dependency problem, gdebi will automatically install them for you, if these dependency packages are available from software repository.

apt

Normally you would use apt to install packages from online software repositories like below:

Did you know that it can also be used to install local deb packages? This is another reason you should be using apt instead of apt-get, which does not have the ability. You simply change to the directory where the deb package are stored and install it like below.

For instance, to install TeamViewer 12 on Ubuntu 16.04/16.10, first download the TeamViewer deb package to the current directory

Then install it with:

It automatically install dependencies if these dependencies are available from software repository.

You need to add ./, which represents the current working directory, in front of the package name so that apt can find the deb package.

That’s it!

I hope this post helped you install local debian packages from the command line. As always, if you found this post useful, then Subscribe to our free newsletter to get latest Linux tutorials. You can also follow us on Google+, Twitter or like our Facebook page.

[Total: 9 Average: 3.7]

Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 21:04:11 +0200 Package: debian-installer Severity: important Subject: debian-installer: Installer hangs during 'select and install software' Dear Debian team During the installation on a Acer Aspire E11 ES-111-C5Q9 laptop the system freezes with an installation with both the debian-8.1.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso image and also debian-8.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso. The freeze takes place during the 'select and install software' after 'laptop detect' while apt is running. Both with grapical and non-grapical gui In this stage of the installation apt is already configured. On the same system, on a different partition, with the same method I did a fresh install of linux mint ( kernel 3.16.0-38-generic), which is working perfectly so I'm pretty shure there is no malfunctioning of the hardware. Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 10:58:42 +0200 Hello, I have encountered the same problem with a Asus ET1620I AIO-computer.

The installation freezes at the 12% mark at 'Select and install software'. The device does not response to keyboard input and pressing the power-button does nothing. (I have to hold the power button down to perform a forced reboot). Since I can't change VT I tried changing to no.

4 before the problem happen to try and see what the last output is before it freezes. The last output is: - Sep 13 08:44:12 in-target: Setting up discover (2.1.2-7). Sep 13 08:44:13 in-target: Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u1). This output seems to come from installing 'discover discover-data libdiscover2 libexpat1'. By looking further up on the screen I can see the familiar 'The following NEW packages will be installed' and those 4 packages are in that list. The ET1620 has a Intel Celeron J1900 processor. It also asks for the 'rtl8168g-2.fw' firmware during hardware detection, and I answered 'No'.

I have tried this installation using following ISO-images: - debian-8.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso - debian-8.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso Which I downloaded from the debian-site today. I will try with the 'debian-8.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso' image and see whether the problem persists.

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:52:44 -0400 Both my keyboard and mouse go inactive after selecting 'Install', 'Graphical install', any opening menu choice. At the first screen for language selection, my mouse and keyboard become inactive. I'm installing AMD64 FX-9590 processor and Gigabyte GA-990FX-UDI motherboard. All versions (Live, NETINST, CD-1, fxce) of debian 8.2.0 have this problem on my machine. I tried the Automated install option too, and it hangs up on the network installation. Are there 'option' fixes or any version of Ubuntu that can be used to get up and running again?

Thanks for any help, Richard Kircher. Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 17:21:08 -0700 (text/plain, inline) Additional info: I have tried this with the realtek drivers loaded off additional media and using two other mirrors and it still hangs in the same place. On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Debian Bug Tracking System wrote: Thank you for the additional information you have supplied regarding this Bug report.

This is an automatically generated reply to let you know your message has been received. Your message is being forwarded to the package maintainers and other interested parties for their attention; they will reply in due course.

Your message has been sent to the package maintainer(s): Debian Install System Team If you wish to submit further information on this problem, please send it to [email protected] Please do not send mail to [email protected] unless you wish to report a problem with the Bug-tracking system. - 794410: Debian Bug Tracking System Contact [email protected] with problems - Thank You, Vincenzo J Lombardo 'I reject your reality and substitute my own.' - Adam Savage,.The Mythbusters.

(text/html, inline). Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 02:54:38 +0100 I encountered this perfectly reproducible exact 12% total freeze bug using a Jessie installer image dating back a few months on an Intel J1900 host with integrated Realtek network hardware - I'm afraid I don't know which Jessie sub-version. However, on the exact same hardware (including the USB flash dongle), the Debian installer completed successfully using the debian-8.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso image. Users who encountered this bug with a Jessie DI version older than the 8.2.0 that was published in September 2015 might want to try again with that one. Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 00:48:32 +0000 (UTC) (text/plain, inline) Hi, I yesterday failed for this exactly issue for a couple of times. Don't know why the issue hasn't gotten notice from Debian installer developer. I love Debian for many years, it's the first time to have such bad experience.

Hope somebody can fix this severe bug quickly. H/W:Mini box from Chinese vendor. Motherboad: ITX-N29 SoC: J1900NIC: 2xRealTek 8111F gigabit ethernet controller O/SPrimary: Windows 7Secondary: Debian 8.2 # failed to install it with no matter DVD or netinst RegardsSHI (text/html, inline). Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 06:04:08 +0100 (text/plain, inline) After many trials installer was able to complete the installation I used the following image (already used before and failed) 06:59 281m I had tried different BIOS configurations, and in the scenario when it worked, the last thing I changed in BIOS was an option related to UEFI: 'Boot Priority' UEFI First So after system start I had 'EFI USB Device (the one whit debian installer) has been blocked by the current security policy.' After pressing ok, debian installer started in Legacy boot mode and all went ok.but I don't know if it's just a coincidence.

(text/html, inline). Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 20:15:53 +0100 (text/plain, inline) I'm having this issue on a Intel NUC (Intel Atom E3815). Is literally impossible to install Debian 8. Tried with the following: - debian-8.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso (with internet on the NUC) - debian-8.3.0-amd64-CD-1.iso (without network connection). Booting from a usb device that was created via the usual: $ dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4k It always freezes on the step in-target: Setting up discover (2.1.2-7). In-target: Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u1).

Step as seen on the debug console (alt+f4). Even the cursor stops blinking and it will ignore any key press combination. Freezes completely 100% of the times. Here is a picture of the freeze just after it happens: Tried installing in DOS mode and in UEFI mode.

Didn't make any difference. This machine don't has any wlan device as the previous reported I ended workaround this by installing Debian wheezy and dist-upgrading after the install. The triggers for libc-bin in Jessie only seems to contain this: $ dpkg -I libc-bin2.19-18+deb8u2amd64.deb triggers interest ldconfig I wonder what can be causing this issue: I already had this issue when installing a fresh Debian 8 in another machine, but in that one only happened once. After a hard-reboot and a retry it worked. With this Intel NUC machine happened everytime of the 4 times I tried to install it. (application/pgp-signature, attachment). Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 21:04:18 +0100 (text/plain, inline) On 17/02/16 20:15, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote: I wonder what can be causing this issue: I already had this issue when installing a fresh Debian 8 in another machine, but in that one only happened once.

After a hard-reboot and a retry it worked. With this Intel NUC machine happened everytime of the 4 times I tried to install it. Seems the freeze is reproducible on the installed system (with Debian Jessie and the default 3.16.0-4-amd64 kernel) by running: $ discover-modprobe If i run it with -x i see that it freezes here: readlink -f /sbin/discover-modprobe ' 0 = 1 ' FANCYTTY= ' -e /etc/lsb-base-logging.sh ' true +.

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:22:35 +0530 (text/plain, inline) On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 10:58:42 +0200 Richard Zetterberg wrote: HelloI have encountered the same problem with a Asus ET1620I AIO-computer. The installation freezes at the 12% mark at 'Select and install software'. The device does not response to keyboard input and pressing the power-button does nothing. (I have to hold the power button down to perform a forced reboot). Since I can't change VT I tried changing to no. 4 before the problem happen to try and see what the last output is before it freezes. The last output is: - Sep 13 08:44:12 in-target: Setting up discover (2.1.2-7).

Sep 13 08:44:13 in-target: Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u1). - This output seems to come from installing 'discover discover-data libdiscover2 libexpat1'. By looking further up on the screen I can see the familiar 'The following NEW packages will be installed' and those 4 packages are in that list. The ET1620 has a Intel Celeron J1900 processor. It also asks for the 'rtl8168g-2.fw' firmware during hardware detection, and I answered 'No'. I have tried this installation using following ISO-images: - debian-8.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso - debian-8.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso Which I downloaded from the debian-site today.

I will try with the 'debian-8.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso' image and see whether the problem persists. - Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

(text/html, inline). Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 21:19:40 +0100 On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 20:38:46 +0100 Tuxicoman wrote: I got the same issue with an Intel NUC 2820 dpkg was stuck at 12% during installation. I updated the bios (v52 to v56) and this seemed to solve the issue. Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 15:51:40 +0000 I've seen this bug with both 8.6.0 and testing (-amd64-netinst). I prepared the USB (8564:1000 Transcend Information, Inc. JetFlash) with sudo cp path/to/netinst.iso /dev/sdb I've never verified the images' integrity/authenticity. The box has an Intel® Celeron® J1900 2.0 GHz processor and (according to 3.16.36 kernel) three I210 Gigabit 8086:1533 (rev 03) Ethernet ports, one 8086:0f35 Intel Z36xxx/Z37xxx USB xHCI, one 8086:0f34 Intel Z36xxx/Z37xxx USB EHCI.

With 8.6.0 and the keyboard in the USB 3 socket, after selecting 'Install' the keyboard stops working; moving it in one of the USB 2.0 socket fixes the issue. After seeing the bug ('Select and install software - running dpkg - 12%') with 8.6.0, twice with testing, I retried with 8.6.0 (4th time) but choose the second mirror 'ftp.linux.it' and watched the debug log most of the time. It hung on 'Configuring apt - Scanning the mirror. The keyboard stayed operative and the last debug line (ALT+F4) said 'choose-mirror1971: DEBUG: command: wget -q -O - grep -E '^(Suite Codename):'. This might be a problem with my network. After two and a half minutes it told me the mirror did not support jessie. I choose the standard mirror 'ftp.it.debian.org' and the installation succeded.

I retried (5th time) with 8.6.0, the keyboard was in one of the USB 2.0 sockets and stopped working after selecting 'Install'. Unplugging and plugging it in again (in any port) solved the issue. I replicated the 'ftp.linux.it' hanging and again the installation succeded. Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 07:01:38 +0000 (text/plain, inline) Further to my report a little earlier on, I wish to confirm that the repeated problems I had were installing Jessie (stable) in ‘expert mode’; however I now find in default ‘install’ the 'Installation of Extra Software' proceeds after only a brief pause, to match software to the system. I checked by repeating the installation, and it worked again. I’m sorry I cant provide any more details, as I am new to Debian installation. SIncerely, John Plumridge (text/html, inline).

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:11:55 +0000 (text/plain, inline) I'm using 'debian-8.7.1-amd64-DVD-1.iso' to install on an intel machine. Firstly I saw this 'rtl8168e-3.fw' missing error. Then as instructed online, I skipped this since a USB disk with those firmware won't work. Then I got stuck at dpkg 12% with 'installation'. I tried several times and all failed.

Then when I desperately tried 'GUI installation', it worked like magic. I don't recall any change but some escape during time zone setup. But anyway, I seriously doubt it's related to realtek driver. Please fix it. (text/html, inline).

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 11:03:16 -0400 (text/plain, inline) I'm using 'debian-live-8.7.1-amd64-standard.iso' on a PPC-3060S Industrial Panel PC from Advantech. I have the same problem where the installation process stops at running dpkg - 12%. This behavior is the same on standard install and GUI install. The BIOS is Aptio Setup Utility version 5.0.0.9 from American Megatrends. It has options in 'Chipset-South Bridge': OS Selcetion is by default set to Windows 7. XHCI mode is by default set to disable.

If I change OS Selection for Linux, XHCI also changes for Enabled. Once these options are set the installer no longer stops at 12% Running dpkg and it completes successfully. I hope this helps.

2) Insert the Hasp Key into an available USB port on the PC. Madrics superbox 3 pro driver windows 7. Supported operating systems are: + Windows Server 2008 R2, Server 2012, or Server 2012 R2 + Windows 7, 8, or 10 For detailed recommendations and instructions, see the '' document on the Cimatron DVD, in the Cimatron Release Notes folder.

(text/html, inline). Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 18:10:54 +0000 (text/plain, inline) On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 04:57:43 +0000 Yu Wang wrote: Laterly I got some help and it seems there is a install iso that contains more firmwares, just like Ubuntu. Since I can install Ubuntu 16.10 without problem, I think it should work.

For anyway interested, please search for 'firmware-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso' and try. Your are totaly right, for me works downloding firmware from Untar in an empty USB drive and use along with USB installation drive, and all installation process succed. Kind Regards, - Ing. Sergio Basurto Juarez Soft Gator S.A. De C.V Numero Nextel: (01) 55 6607-1878 Oficina: (01) 55 1113-1113 / (01) 55 6830-7872 www.soft-gator.com 1 Links: - 1 (text/html, inline).

Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:11:32 +0200 (text/plain, inline) The problem with the installer freeze at 12% seems to be solved at the 9.0.1 iso. When i did a fresh install (without additional firmware) with the 'debian-live-9.0.1-amd64-xfce.iso' on the Acer Aspire E11 (ES1-111-C5Q9) the process ended up with a fully working debian installation. I previously also tried the 'firmware-9.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso' on this laptop but then the installer hangs again at 12% ( installed discover).

(text/html, inline). Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 13:15:55 +0000 (text/plain, inline) First, I want to say, 'thank you,' to all the people that posted here. I had the same issue as most people posting on this thread. The Debian installer hung during 'select and install software'. I was using 'Debian-9.2.1-amd64-netinst.iso' on the Advantech single board computer, ARK1123.

This SBC uses the same J1900 processor that other people reference in this thread. I was able to get around it by some changes to my BIOS, similar to what other people have posted. In my BIOS, I went to Advanced-Misc Configuration-OS Selection. My 3 options were Windows 7, Windows 8, and Android. I changed the OS Selection from Windows 7 to Android.

I also disabled all the settings available in Advanced-ACPI menu. Then it worked. Brent (text/html, inline).

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 21:31:54 +0200 Hello, I have the same issue. Installing debian 9 stretch, both cd (debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso) and the dvd versions. Hangs at 12%: at the phase of installing 'discover (amd64)' I tried about 10 times. Laptop is Packard Bell ENLG71BM-C05U I used the additional drivers (from ), and I put these.deb packages on another usb key: the effect is that I don't have the step where they search for firmware for rtlwifi/rtl8723befw.bin and rtlnic/rtl8168g-2.fw I don't have options to disable APCI in the bios. I managed to install Opensuse on this computer, and there was Windows 10 working properly. Any suggestion is welcome. Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 20:02:25 +0200 (text/plain, inline) Hi Jean-Louis, Jean-Louis Deniest (2018-07-21): Hello, I have the same issue.

Installing debian 9 stretch, both cd (debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso) and the dvd versions. Hangs at 12%: at the phase of installing 'discover (amd64)' I tried about 10 times. Laptop is Packard Bell ENLG71BM-C05U I used the additional drivers (from )and I put these.deb packages on another usb key: the effect is that I don't have the step where they search for firmware for rtlwifi/rtl8723befw.bin and rtlnic/rtl8168g-2.fw I don't have options to disable APCI in the bios. I managed to install Opensuse on this computer, and there was Windows 10 working properly. Any suggestion is welcome. Can you please switch to vt4 and tell us what the last lines look like?

Bonus points if you can extract the whole /var/log/syslog file (e.g. By using netcat to another machine); a photograph would probably work too.

Thanks already. Cheers, - Cyril Brulebois ([email protected]) D-I release manager - Release team member - Freelance Consultant (application/pgp-signature, inline). Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 21:15:57 +0200 (text/plain, inline) Thanks Cyril. Usb key: debian 9, DVD version I made screenshots of vt4 during: - error when searching mirrors - no mirrors were accepted, even usa - debian. I selected then 'continue with no mirror' (see screenshot 1 & 2). It has happened a few times.

screenshots 1 and 2 - just before the hanging, at the phase of installing discover. Then, I runned another time the install, and made a few screenshots of /var/log/syslog, until it hangs. All screenshots here: Hope it helps. On 22/07/18 20:02, Cyril Brulebois wrote: Hi Jean-LouisJean-Louis Deniest (2018-07-21): Hello, I have the same issue.

Installing debian 9 stretch, both cd (debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso) and the dvd versions. Hangs at 12%: at the phase of installing 'discover (amd64)' I tried about 10 times. Laptop is Packard Bell ENLG71BM-C05U I used the additional drivers (from )and I put these.deb packages on another usb key: the effect is that I don't have the step where they search for firmware for rtlwifi/rtl8723befw.bin and rtlnic/rtl8168g-2.fw I don't have options to disable APCI in the bios. I managed to install Opensuse on this computer, and there was Windows 10 working properly.

Any suggestion is welcome. Can you please switch to vt4 and tell us what the last lines look like? Bonus points if you can extract the whole /var/log/syslog file (e.g. By using netcat to another machine); a photograph would probably work too. Thanks already.

Cheers(image/jpeg, attachment). Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 23:20:38 +0200 Hi, This problem has been solved by updating the bios. Then installation of 9.5.0 went without problems. On 23/07/18 21:15, Jean-Louis Deniest wrote: Thanks Cyril. Here is it.

usb key: debian 9, DVD version I made screenshots of vt4 during: - error when searching mirrors - no mirrors were accepted, even usa - debian. I selected then 'continue with no mirror' (see screenshot 1 & 2). It has happened a few times. screenshots 1 and 2 - just before the hanging, at the phase of installing discover. Then, I runned another time the install, and made a few screenshots of /var/log/syslog, until it hangs. All screenshots here: Hope it helps. On 22/07/18 20:02, Cyril Brulebois wrote: Hi Jean-LouisJean-Louis Deniest (2018-07-21): Hello, I have the same issue.

Installing debian 9 stretch, both cd (debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso) and the dvd versions. Hangs at 12%: at the phase of installing 'discover (amd64)' I tried about 10 times. Laptop is Packard Bell ENLG71BM-C05U I used the additional drivers (from )and I put these.deb packages on another usb key: the effect is that I don't have the step where they search for firmware for rtlwifi/rtl8723befw.bin and rtlnic/rtl8168g-2.fw I don't have options to disable APCI in the bios. I managed to install Opensuse on this computer, and there was Windows 10 working properly. Any suggestion is welcome. Can you please switch to vt4 and tell us what the last lines look like? Bonus points if you can extract the whole /var/log/syslog file (e.g.

Installer software

By using netcat to another machine); a photograph would probably work too. Thanks already. Cheers,. Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 12:37:07 -0500 Updated bios before starting installation. Still had persistent hanging following 'installed discover.'

Installed Jessie On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 4:30 PM Jean-Louis Deniest wrote: HiThis problem has been solved by updating the bios. Then installation of 9.5.0 went without problems. On 23/07/18 21:15, Jean-Louis Deniest wrote: Thanks Cyril.

Here is it. usb key: debian 9, DVD version I made screenshots of vt4 during: - error when searching mirrors - no mirrors were accepted, even usa - debian. I selected then 'continue with no mirror' (see screenshot 1 & 2). It has happened a few times. screenshots 1 and 2 - just before the hanging, at the phase of installing discover. Then, I runned another time the install, and made a few screenshots of /var/log/syslog, until it hangs. All screenshots here: Hope it helps.

On 22/07/18 20:02, Cyril Brulebois wrote: Hi Jean-LouisJean-Louis Deniest (2018-07-21): Hello, I have the same issue. Installing debian 9 stretch, both cd (debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso) and the dvd versions. Hangs at 12%: at the phase of installing 'discover (amd64)' I tried about 10 times. Laptop is Packard Bell ENLG71BM-C05U I used the additional drivers (from )and I put these.deb packages on another usb key: the effect is that I don't have the step where they search for firmware for rtlwifi/rtl8723befw.bin and rtlnic/rtl8168g-2.fw I don't have options to disable APCI in the bios. I managed to install Opensuse on this computer, and there was Windows 10 working properly.

Any suggestion is welcome. Can you please switch to vt4 and tell us what the last lines look like? Bonus points if you can extract the whole /var/log/syslog file (e.g. By using netcat to another machine); a photograph would probably work too. Thanks already.

Cheers- To unsubscribe, send mail to [email protected] Send a report that. Debian bug tracking system administrator. Last modified: Wed Sep 19 06:; Machine Name: buxtehude Debbugs is free software and licensed under the terms of the GNU Public License version 2. The current version can be obtained from. Copyright © 1999 Darren O.

Benham, 1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson, 2005-2017 Don Armstrong, and many other contributors.

Download IDM CC For Firefox 16. Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Pinterest. Labels: IDM CC. No comments: Post a Comment. Internet Download Manager (IDM) Firefox integration addon (IDMcc) update compatible with Firefox 61 beta, Firefox 60, 59 and older versions with Web Extension support and legacy addon. IDM cc for Firefox 61 beta, Firefox 60, 59 and older versions with Web Extension support and legacy addon. Download idm cc for firefox 16+.